Styrene-free putty CSX-01.054

WHAT IS STYRENE?

Styrene is an unsaturated hydrocarbon that looks like a clear colourless liquid with an aromatic, sweet odour. It is widely used as a solvent for unsaturated polyester resins and products made of these resins, including putties.

The major hazards encountered in use and handling of styrene, stem from its toxicologic properties and flammability.
 
It is toxic by all routs (inhalation, ingestion and dermal contact). Exposure to styrene, for example from resins, paints, putties etc. as opposed to vinyl toluene, may cause headache, fatigue, nausea, sensation of drunkenness, central nervous system depression and respiratory tract. Styrene is an agent suspected of being carcinogenic (IARC has classified styrene as a Group 2B carcinogen) and toxic to reproduction.
 
Styrene has low flash point (31°C) and it is easily ignited by heat, sparks (including static discharge), or flames. Its heavier-than-air vapor may travel considerable distances to a source of ignition and flash back, or form explosive concentrations in enclosed spaces such as sewers.

 

STYRENEVINYL TOLUENE
FlammabilityYESYES
Flash point31°C60°C
CarcinogenicitySUSPECTEDNO
ReprotoxicityYESNO
OtotoxicityYESNO
Irritating to skinYESYES
Irritating to eyesYESYES
Irritating to respiratory tractYESNO

WHY MULTI PUTTY NST (CSX-01.054) IS SUCCESSFULLY USED AS A SIGNIFICANTLY LESS HARMFUL REPLACEMENT FOR STANDARD STYRENE PUTTIES?

 

By removing styrene from the putty formulation, we significantly decrease health hazards for human organs and thus improve health security for employees in the body shops and areas adapted for refinishing works.

 

What is more, we maintain the product quality guarantee as for standard styrene putties, in terms of: application, drying time, sanding, adhesion and in-can stability.

THE DIFFERENCES IN THE CLASSIFICATION OF STYRENE AND STYRENE-FREE PUTTY

STYRENE PUTTY
(CSX-01.018)

H226 Flammable liquid and vapour.

H315 Causes skin irritation.

H319 Causes serious eye irritation.

H361d Suspected of damaging the unborn child.

H372 Causes damage to the hearing organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.

H226 Flammable liquid and vapour.

H315 Causes skin irritation.

H319 Causes serious eye irritation.